Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Blog Assignment 1: Biographical Statement

§  Have you ever made art? What kind of art do you like?
I have been making art ever since I picked up my first pencil, at least it was art in my parents eyes, and have been making art ever since. I started actual art class in elementary school and took art classes all the way up to my senior year in high school. My art class senior year, ceramics, ended up being my favorite art class ever.  I like the kind of art that you can make out of things, any random things. But my favorite type of art is pottery.  I like to make sculptures and especially like to make pots and paint them all sorts of different ways.
§  Have you ever made a drawing? A painting? A sculpture?
My grandparents are artists, they paint pastels and water color paintings.  They have really pushed for me to take many art classes and have even give me art lessons themselves. I make drawings all the time, especially for my mom and dad's birthday. My very first successful painting was a pastel in 2nd grade that was chosen to be in the school art show.  I still have that painting now, hanging up in my bathroom at home. I have made sculptures through out my school years in the school art classes, my parents keep all of my sculptures along with my sibling's sculptures on a shelf at home, and its always fun to go back and look at what we have created.
§  When was the last time you went to a museum? Gallery? Artist studio?
I live right outside of Washington D.C. which is a major area for museums.  I think the last time I went to a museum was the summer before freshmen year of college, I saw an I-max movie at the Smithsonian museum. I don't exactly remember what I saw but I know I thought it was good! 
§  Have you ever been to a play? Opera? Art Film? Do you dance?
I have been to a few school plays and was even in a middle school play, but was too nervous to have a big role.  I also went to the Broadway show, "Legally Blonde", which was a great show. I've never been to an Opera though, I've never really had the urge to attend one because I think about the stereotype of them being really boring.  I'm not really sure what an art film is, so no i have never been to one of those, although they sound interesting. Dancing is one of the most fun activities to do! I play dance central on the Xbox Kinect game all of the time! I also used to Irish dance. I Irish danced for about 9 years until I thought that soccer was something I enjoyed more, and I really wish I had stuck with it.
§  Under what conditions do you learn the most?
I learn the most when I am studying with my friends in an atmosphere that is conducive to learning.  My friends and I study all together all the time, and for me the best way to learn the material is by trying to teach it to someone else.
§  Why are you taking this class?
I have to take an art elective, and I had options to take classes other than ARTE 360.  I ultimately took this class to get a better understanding of art, its history, and why its made.  I also wanted to experience different types of art that I have never really looked into before. I also think that art is a good way to relieve stress and I thought that this class would be fun!
§  Has any of the arts ever moved you in any way? How? §  What inspires you?
Art has definitely moved me in some ways.  My grandfather is an amazing artist, but he also suffers from Parkinson's disease which has taken a major toll on him and his lifestyle.  He is progressively getting worse and there is not much he can do, yet he can still paint.  I look at all of his paintings and think that he can create such beautiful work even with his disease which really inspires me.  He inspires me to keep going even when I feel down and has shown me that you really can do anything you put your mind to.
§  What is art?
Art is anything that you create your hands.  It's an outlet for all of your minds creativity and it can represent anything you want it to represent.  Art also doesn't need to represent anything, it can just mean whatever you want it to mean.  It is for your interpretation. 
§  Do you consider movies art? Music? Video games? Comics? Television?
I wouldn't necessarily classify music, movies, and television as art because you aren't really using your artist type of mind.  I think that you are using a creative mind but not the artsy creative mind. I do however think that video games and comics are art because so much creativity and drawing comes into play when you are creating them.  Especially for video games because the art and graphics that go into creating those are insanely hard but awesome.
§  Who decided what is good art? How do they know?
I think that anyone can decide for themselves what good art is, because if they like it then that's all that really matters.  Good art in my eyes is something I can look at all the time and still enjoy. 
§  When you debate music or movies with your friends, what critical elements or standards do you hold them to?
When I debate music or movies to my friends, I tend to think about how I felt while I was listening to the music or watching the movie. The 2 subjects differ, because with songs I will tell my friend that I don't like it after I first listen to it because it didn't do anything for me, but after I listen to the song a few times, it grows on me and then I begin to love it.  With movies it is a little different.  If I felt bored/uninterested at all in the movie the first time I saw, then I wont watch it again and I'll probably tell my friends its not worth their time.  The movie really needs to be able to keep my attention the whole time or else it loses points completely.  
§  What was the best movie of last year?
When it comes to movies, I like action movies.  I have a hard time choosing one favorite movie because I like a lot of movies.  I would have to say the movie "Taken" was the best movie of last year, it kept me on my toes the whole time.
§  What is an “Art Film”?
Like I said before, I have no idea what an "Art Film" is, but if I were to guess I would have to say that an "Art Film" would be any animated movie.  And if an "Art Film" was that, I have seen too many too count. 
§  What CD or MP3 is in your player?
The MP3 that I am currently listening to is the soundtrack to the new movie "Country Strong", specifically the song "Give into Me". The movie was so good! One of my favorites for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment